1. Where to look
    The Dutch Chamber of Commerce states that companies need to start their recruiting in the Netherlands or in the European Economic Area (EEA). If you can’t find suitable employees, however, you can then search in countries outside of this area. Please note that these foreign employees might need a permit or a visa to be able to work in the Netherlands. Whether they require a permit or visa and which type depends on their situation, the amount of time they are going to spend in the Netherlands, their reason for moving and their nationality. Learn more about website to learn more.
  2. Comparing international candidates
    If you want to compare candidates on the international labour market, you can use Europass - a European Commission initiative for improving international mobility with regard to working and studying. It is available in several European languages.
  3. Acknowledgement as sponsor
    If you want to hire highly skilled migrants or researchers from outside the EEA, you need to be recognised as a sponsor by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). A sponsor is a person or organisation with an interest in employing a third-country national in the Netherlands. When you engage a foreign employee, you are the employee’s sponsor. You can be a sponsor for several employees at the same time. As an employer, you can have your company recognised as a sponsor by the IND. Learn more about this on the IND website.
  4. Hiring international employees through intermediaries
    When you hire employees from outside the EU via an intermediary, such as an employment agency, contracting company or subcontractor, it is the company’s responsibility for ensuring that the employee has a work permit. The intermediary must request this permit.
  5. Proof of identity and citizen service number for foreign employees
    When you hire foreign employees or employ them through a contractor or subcontractor, you need to check their identity. You must also ensure that your records include a photocopy of their proof of identity, which you must keep for five years after the person stops working for you. Foreign employees who are required to pay tax in the Netherlands must have a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer, BSN). If the Inspectorate SZW (Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment) asks you to establish the identity of one of your employees, you must send a copy of their identity document within 48 hours.
  6. Terms of employment
    The terms of employment for foreign employees that work for a European company in the Netherlands are laid down in the Terms of Employment Posted Workers in the EU act.
  7. Language requirement for dangerous tasks
    Is a foreign employee working for you involved in a dangerous task, such as the removal of asbestos or the operation of a crane? To ensure that work is carried out safely and accidents are prevented, any such person must have an adequate command of the Dutch language. This also applies to temporary foreign employees who conduct dangerous tasks.
  8. Self-employed professionals and freelancers
    If your company is working with self-employed professionals or freelancers from abroad, you must check whether they are permitted to live in the Netherlands and be self-employed.This is stated in their residence permit or passport. You will usually need a work permit for self-employed professionals from outside the EU and the EEA.