Residence permit & visa

You may require a work and/or residence permit if you want to live and work in the Netherlands. Whether or not you require a permit depends among others on your home country. Citizens of EU and EEA countries or Switzerland for instance do not require a visa. What kind of visa or permit you might need also depends on the length of your stay. Find more information and requirements on the IND website. Find more information about making an appointment below.

Check if you need a visa or permit

Make an appointment - with the Utrecht International Center

You can arrange your formalities at the Utrecht International Center. You can visit the center's IND desk and Civil Affairs desk for the following services:

1.    Immigration services by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND):

  •   Submitting biometrics such as fingerprints and picture
  •   Collecting residence documents
  •   Collecting residence endorsement stickers

2.    Registration by Civil Affairs for the municipalities of Utrecht, Amersfoort, Hilversum, De Ronde Venen, Woerden and Oudewater.
Click here for more information about registering with the municipality.


If you want to arrange your IND formalities at the Utrecht International Center, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • You will live or work in Utrecht Region. If you live or work outside Utrecht Region, you need to make an appointment at one of the other international centres or IND desks.
  • You have received a letter by the IND stating that you can make an appointment with the Utrecht International Center to have your biometrics taken, to arrange your residence permit, or collect your residence permit.
  • You have requested your residence document to be sent to the Utrecht International Center.

You are required to bring the following documents to your IND appointment. Please note: this goes for each individual so if you bring family members to the appointment, make sure they bring their documents as well.

  • Valid identification such as a passport.
  • Your (expired) residence document. Or the official report of loss or theft from the police if your residence document was lost or stolen.

Make an appointment

If you fulfil above mentioned criteria you can make an appointment at the Utrecht International Center.

Click the button below to go to the Utrecht International Center’s appointment form. Please fill in this form and receive the appointment link(s) that apply to your personal situation by email.

If you haven’t received the email in your inbox within an hour, please check your spam folder. Please send an email to in case you have any questions about the appointment links.

Go to appointment form

We value your privacy
The Utrecht International Center takes the protection of your data seriously. The data of the appointment form will be processed and recorded in the registration system of the Utrecht International Center, part of the Municipality of Utrecht. Your data will not be transferred to third parties. The Municipality of Utrecht processes and protects your personal data as described in the Data Protection Declaration.

Need help?

If you have questions about permits or what to bring to the appointment, please contact the IND. If you have any questions regarding the date and time of your appointment, please send an email to or call +31 (0)30 286 0000.

Other settling-in topics