Register in Utrecht Region

You need to register with the municipality if you are to live and/ or work in the Netherlands. They will record your personal data in the Personal Records Database (BRP). If you are moving from abroad and are registering for the first time, you will receive a citizen service number (BSN) which you will need to work, open a bank account and take out health insurance.

What kind of registration appointment you need to make depends on:

  • The length of your stay
  • If you have your own official address or not
  • If you are an international student: please click here to register

Please read the information below carefully and fill in the appointment form to make an appointment. Questions?

Send us an email

The length of your stay - Are you:

Staying for longer than four months

If you are staying in the Netherlands for longer than four months, it is legally required to register. You need to make an appointment within 5 days of your arrival. If you are going to live in:

  • Utrecht, Amersfoort, De Ronde Venen, Hilversum, Woerden, or Oudewater: you can make an appointment at the Utrecht International Center.
  • Another municipality in the Utrecht region: please register at your city office. Find their contact details.

Staying for four months or less

If you are staying in the Netherlands for four months or less, you are not legally required to register. However, if you want to work, open a bank account, or access healthcare, you need a BSN. To receive one, you can register in the Registry for Non-Residents (RNI). Find more information on the website of the Government of the Netherlands.

It is not possible to register in the RNI if you are staying in the Netherlands for over four months.

Temporary registration - If don’t have your own official address

Please note: you can only temporary register if you plan to live in and register with the city of Utrecht and Hilversum. Find the different registration options below. These are temporary measures, valid for three months maximum. If you want to apply, please download the declaration form that applies to your personal situation. Bring the completed and signed form together with the required documents to your registration appointment.

You can temporarily register:

  1. Using the official postal address of your employer, if you meet the following conditions:
    -   You have permission of your employer
    -   Your employer's postal address is located in the city of Utrecht or Hilversum
    -   You already live in the Netherlands
    -   You don't have a rental contract (in another municipality)

    Download declaration form
  2. If you are living at a residence rented by your employer in the city of Utrecht or Hilversum.

    Download declaration form
  3. If you are living at someone else’s address in the city of Utrecht or Hilversum.

    Download declaration form

Make an appointment

Please fill in the form in the link below to make an appointment. After completing the form, you will receive an email with a link to book a day and time slot for your appointment at the Utrecht International Center. If you don’t receive this email within an hour, check your spam folder and contact the Utrecht International Center at - please include the name and the email address you used to book the appointment.

Plan ahead
Please book your appointment early on in the relocation process. If the appointment tool keeps on loading, this means that all time slots are fully booked. Please check the appointment tool regularly to see if new time slots have opened up.

Go to appointment form

Questions? Please don't hesitate to get in touch.

We value your privacy
The Utrecht International Center takes the protection of your data seriously. The data of the appointment form will be processed and recorded in the registration system of the Utrecht International Center, part of the Municipality of Utrecht. Your data will not be transferred to third parties. The Municipality of Utrecht processes and protects your personal data as described in their Data Protection Declaration.

What to bring to the appointment

Please note that everyone completing their registration must turn up to their appointment in person. If you have a partner and/or child(ren) who also need to be registered, they must come with you to the appointment.

The required documents:

  1. A valid passport or ID card for each person that needs to be registered.
  2. Proof of occupancy: a rental/ tenancy agreement, home purchase deed or a completed form for temporary registration.  
  3. Legalised birth, marriage and/ or divorce certificate (if available) – this doesn’t apply to international students. The municipality only accepts deeds in English, German and French. Deeds in other languages must be translated by a sworn translator. Both the original deed and the translated document must be legalised. Please note: all deeds must comply with the rules for legalisation. Read more about the legalisation of documents
  4. A proof of deregistration in case you are relocating from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or Sint Eustatius.

After your registration

Registering foreign documents

Did you register but do you need to come back to file more documents? Click here to make an appointment with the city of Utrecht. If you live in another municipality, please contact your city office.

Changing address or leaving the Netherlands

Are you moving or leaving the Netherlands? You have to report this to the authorities and deregister. Find more information and make an appointment.

Other settling-in topics